This past weekend Kyle and I headed up to Black Mountain, where my grandparents (on dads side) live. I have so many memories up there, as my family headed there almost every Christmas since I was little. Waiting anxiously downstairs to run up with the rest of the kids to open Christmas presents, all the yummy favorite meals, playing "man on the mountain" outside with the everyone, sledding down their steep long driveway on the toboggan, hilarious family pictures outside, and the list goes on and on. The last time I had been there was my sophomore year in college, WAY too long! It's always been a place where you were forced to relax and be 'out in the woods', as your cell phones don't work, and there is only one main tv to watch. For some reason I never realized how "green" they were... clothes lines, compost piles, gardens, water from springs... it's always been their way of life!
So anyways, we heard my dad was going up there and rushed at the chance to tag along. We all arrived up there around 10:00 that night, talked with Grammy and Pop Pop for a while then turned in.
The next morning, the guys got busy on 'the project list' that Pop Pop had made before they came: replacing light bulbs on the garage, fixing the garden fence, riding on the 4-wheeler to trim weeds down by the mailbox, etc. While they did that Grammy had stacks of things for me to bring home that she wanted to get rid of. I ended up also getting some fabric and an old sewing table that was in her storage... so excited about that! After the guys were done with their "list" Pop Pop, dad, Kyle, the dogs, and I all headed on a walk to V-Rock. Couldn't believe Pop Pop came with us... he's 86 and still running strong!
Pop Pop and Grammy own about 300 acres of land so there are service roads he's put in everywhere, and trails going from all the roads. We had to bushwhack a couple places, but most of them were nice walks through the woods. Once we made it to V-Rock the view was amazing! (They call it V-Rock, because during the war people had painted "Victory" on it!). We had a great time sitting there talking with that beautiful weather! I'm so excited that fall is finally here!
Pop Pop is always trying to find the corners of his land, and there are markers everywhere so we went a different way back home to see how it was all looking. Here's a shot of the 3 guys: (Pop Pop just got braces on his bottom teeth!)
Saturday afternoon we all took naps and by the time we woke up Grammy had prepared her famous Stringy Meat with Potatoes. We had a nice dinner with her Apple Pie for dessert. Oh also in this collage is a picture of their new dog Charlie who we hadn't seen since he was a puppy. Also on the bottom right is a picture of their water source from one of the springs on the property. Amazing. (Pop Pop said not too long ago a bear bit it in half and he had to repair it)
Saturday night consisted of BIG JOE's POLKA SHOW! Oh my goodness I can't even explain to you what this is like you'll just have to watch it for yourself. Grammy and Pop Pop watch it every Wednesday and Saturday night. Kyle and I found a mountain dew can on the stage and it confirmed that this was a re-run from 1980... let alone the dead giveaway from the ladies hair. FINALLY we went to bed.Sunday morning we woke up and went on another walk to one of their "cabin sites" off of the other side of their property. It has an amazing view if you can stand all the howling from the mountain next door. There is a lady who owns and operates a wolf-rescue shelter (40+ wolves), and we must have heard them during feeding time. Tyson was scared out of his mind and kept trying to turn back. It was funny.
We headed home after lunch (dad's fried chicken and rice meal). What a great trip we had, and are going to try to make it up there more often. I think Pop Pop is pretty fond of Kyle :)
8 comments:
Leah, these pictures are amazing! I'm so glad that you and Kyle were able to make it up there to visit with Grammy and PopPop and Dad. My two wanted to go so badly to see them and the 4-wheeler, but unfortunately, we had events all day Saturday that we couldn't miss. Next time you go though we'll have to join you!
niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
these little 4 picture collage things are crucial, you must be a veteran BLOGSTAR
sounds really fun, I had a blast going up there with Dad a couple weekends ago as well, we will all have to go together one of these times!
looks like heaven to me. mmm i can't wait til we're in the mountains.
Such great memories!
I am so glad you made that trip. I know it meant the world to Grammy and Pop Pop. What beautiful scenery.
That looks like an awesome place I love the view.
Leah,
Thank you for coming over to check out my bolg, to answer your question about how I found your blog.
I search from time to time for blogs in the Marietta area and ran across yours.
Ken
Looks so fun! While we were on our trip to San Diego/Vegas, there were so many beautiful things to see and Tyler and I said how we wished we had your camera/photography skills to capture it all! :)
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!