This weekend Kyle and I decided to drive to Raleigh and spend time with both of our fathers. We got into Kyle's parents house in Apex late Friday night. On Saturday we got the chance to spend a lot of time with Pop (Kyle's 95 year old grandfather), which was one of the main reasons we came home. A couple months ago Pop went to Kyle's cousin's bed and breakfast up in VA that used to be a Plantation home. During that time Pop's condition deteriorated and the doctors believe that he had a stroke at some point. Anyways he's back at the Guenthers now and he's happy to be with family and the dogs, but he is just having more difficulty than he was before he went to the plantation. We wanted to come spend some time with him this weekend to see how he was doing ourselves and see if there was anyway we could help. The Guenthers are trying to decide what the next step is for him as he is requiring more care. I'll keep you posted on what they decided, but your prayers for Pop would definitely be appreciated.
Pop, Kyle and I... Pop said he would only take the picture if we gave him a dollar (We only had a $5).
Last week Kyle decided that he wanted a new road bike, since triathlon season is picking back up and he has spent so much maintaining his old bike. He found one in Raleigh that he was interested in and immediately put his bike on Craigslist and got 25 calls in one day about it. He ended up selling it for $425! and got the other bike for $700, and it was SUCH a great deal (the bike brand new is around $2400). Kyle is stoked about his awesome triathlon bike!
Kyle & Mr. G looking at the new bike... thank you Kerry & Brad for picking it up!
We also got to go out to breakfast/lunch at I-Hop with Pop, and Mr. & Mrs. G. It was delicious and fun hanging out. Kerry & Brad were out of town, but we got to see their puppy Eli... man how he's growing!

Saturday night I headed over to Raleigh to surprise my family. Kyle's family knew that we were coming in town, but mine didn't! They were all having dinner over at Tara's and it was hilarious when I walked through the door. Grandma and Mom didn't know what to do! I made it just in time to see the twins before they went to bed too! We had a wonderful steak dinner and then played a couple rounds of Cranium. It was absolutely hilarious and a wonderful night.
Grandpa was cracking us up the entire time. There is one section of the game called "humdinger" where you have to hum a song for your whole team to guess what it is. Somehow Grandpa thought it was a good idea if he tried it. Well his card said "Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round". So what did he do? Hummed the actual sound that tires make going round and round. He kept saying "Look at my head I'm giving you clues" hahaha... not getting that he was supposed to be humming A SONG!
Nick acting out a humdinger of someone who can't sing on tune... this was so funny:
The other team though it was a good idea to "group roll" everytime... whatever!
We also had to go around the room and collect certain items that the card said like "something yellow, some kind of clothing, and something alive". I grabbed a yellow napkin, then Tara & I ran into the kitchen to find something alive and only thought of "yogurt" since it has yeast in it. When we came back in the other room Grandpa had taken off his shirt as the clothing like no big deal. It's so great to see him feeling better, even though he's still going through chemo. He changed to once a week instead of once a month, and we heard a couple weeks ago that it's actually working and getting rid of some of his cancer. Yeah!!
On Sunday my whole family and I went to church together then had lunch reservations at a Brazilian Steak House to celebrate Father's Day. Kyle met my family over there and we had a great time.
The Dew Family:
Kyle, Nick & I:
Dad with all the kids & grandkids:
Dad with all the kids:
We both had a great weekend, and are glad we made the trip home!
4 comments:
Glad you got to go home!
Let me know if you need any references about Assisted Living places in the Triangle for Kyle's grandfather. I know it can feel so overwhelming & confusing, but I would be more than happy to help or make some calls.
What a fun weekend it was! So glad that you were here to be a part of it! Looking forward to seeing you in just a few weeks! Love ya!
Those videos were hilarious!!!!! I could hear you laughing in the background - it made me miss you even more! So glad you guys got to come home for Dad's Day - I'm sure it was the perfect gift for both of your dads!
Love you!
that is so fun that you surprised your fam!!
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!