Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Habitat Restore Curtains & Ikea Duvet Cover turned Bed Skirt

Remember this curtain panel I found at the restore for $15 a couple weeks ago?  Well I'm happy to say my plan of splitting it into two, hemming, and using the extra fabric from the bottom to make 2 throw pillows ACTUALLY WORKED!  Woo hoo!
So here is how the panel looked when I bought it, super long with a huge piece of peach trim on one of the sides:
So first step was taking that off, and letting my handy helper play dress up with it the rest of the day:

Next was measuring the height I needed the curtains to be (plus about 2 inch hem), and cut off the extra fabric on the bottom.

I then cut the panel into two, hemmed all the sides, then dropped them off at the dry cleaners to have peace of mind that they are clean & pressed correctly.  These curtains are lined in white, and even have little weights in the bottom to help them hang perfectly.  VOILA!
Luckily the original panel had about a 6 inch hem at the bottom so I had plenty of fabric to work with for my envelope throw pillows.  (I washed the fabric before making these!) I just LOVE the chevron texture on this fabric!
The navy/white floral pillow above I also made!  A couple weeks ago I found a twin duvet cover from IKEA on sale for $5!  It came with a twin pillow case, so I took that fabric & made a throw pillow cover.  Next, I took the duvet cover, cut it into thirds and made a ruffled bed skirt.  So here is the before:

And here is the after:
A huge thanks to my mom & Nick for passing on the blue comforter & euro pillows to us!  We are loving this color scheme and even though I feel like it's taking forever,  I'm excited how this room is coming together!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

you are so crafty! I love seeing the things you are changing/fixing/updoing at your new home!

Holly said...

You are so talented Leah!!! It all looks beautiful!!

Grandma said...

I am just loving what you are doing and accomplishing with bargains and sale items, Leah. Amazing! I love the color scheme too.

Jen said...

Those curtains definitely worked out for multiple uses! I also really love the chevron fabric and texture it adds to the pillows. Very nice!

Sarah said...

You are so crafty! I would have never thought of this! Thank you for sharing!

Madalyn said...

What do you mean it is taking forever??? You've been in the house what, 3 months? And look how much you've done! Looks awesome!

Lynsey said...

You are so creative and talented! It look great.

Linda said...

Just love how this room is coming together, and all the bargains you hunted down to do it! From the headboard to the curtains to the duvet cover you re-purposed, it all looks amazing! Keep sharing all these wonderful ideas so we can dream of one day being so creative...hehe!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails