Monday, April 13, 2009

Shelby, NC & King Mountain Hike

On Thursday we drove to Shelby, NC to visit with my best friend, Lauren and her husband Matt. We arrived around 9:00 that night and they had homemade lasagna all ready for us... yum! Lauren even called Kyle earlier that week and made one of my favorite drinks (that I usually get at the melting pot) Strawberry Basil Lemonade... that really blew me away that she had taken the time to make it!

Our yummy meal!

Tyson and Chaco loved eachother... very funny


On Saturday morning we woke up and had delicious waffles with homemade whip cream! We sure did eat some delicious meals while we were there! Thank you so much for letting us come stay and crash at your place Lauren & Matt-- we had a great time!

Next Kyle and I headed to Kings Mountain to do one of our first practice hikes for our trip. We hiked about 8 miles in 2 hours, keeping a pretty good pace the whole time. It started raining 1/4 of the way through, but we didn't try to turn around until the lightning came! Fortunately it all worked out and we found our way back to the car-- going the long way by accident. Tyson enjoyed it-- we even bought him a cute little backpack to wear so he can carry his own water (and some of our stuff-- raincoats!)... he loved it!
Here is the view from the top. Kyle and I also just ordered some Dakine camel backs for ourselves, and we'll use the sleeve for our trip in our bigger packs.


And here is one just in the woods somewhere:

Once we got back to the car all soaking wet:
On our way home to Raleigh we picked up a CJ7 that Mr. Guenther just bought. Kyle drove it home the whole way and I followed to make sure it wouldn't break down.

He also got to drive it a lot this past weekend... I think he's completely hooked now and it's on our list to get one of these someday

5 comments:

Jenn & David said...

what a fun trip!! Can't believe you did all of that hiking!! And I didn't realize Lauren was so talented in the kitchen. She is one sweet gal! :)

Bonnie Widmaier said...

your hike looked like lots of fun. tyson is an awesome dog. dave has always wanted a jeep like that too. have a good week.

Tara said...

Leah, I'm so proud of you for doing all this hiking and preparation for your camping trip! That sounds like hard work, but I know it will all pay off! And I love that you bought a backpack for Tyson too!

The Schreibman Family said...

I love the photo of the two dogs with their tongues out and Tyson hiking. I know you two are athlete's but that dog is such a trooper! What a wonderful weekend you had!

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your recap of the weekend and seeing all your pictures. I loved the pictures of Lauren and Sarah. I don't see enough of them. But most of all I loved being a part of your Easter weekend.

Love,
Grandma

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails