SO we had the surgery date of September 21st set on our calendars for a while... then our house ended up selling and even though we were moving out the week after we decided to keep the surgery (ahh worst timing ever). We knew that it was going to be a crazy two weeks, so in came MOM TO THE RESCUE to help with everything we had coming our way!
Emery and I were so excited to pick her up from the airport (and were focusing on that instead of surgery)! Here we are waiting and watching planes land:
We went to a park, and caught up the rest of the night together before the chaos began :) Here is Emery with her "mana" as she lovingly called her all week!
That night, I was instructed to eat a very light dinner, take a shower with antiseptic body wash, and be at the hospital by 5:30 am the next morning for a 7:30 surgery time. I also will admit I recorded a video for Kyle and Emery just in case the surgeon nicked my vocal cord and I no longer would have had a voice (yes that was a possibility).
Unbelievably we slept great the night before, and were ready to roll watching netflix on my phone in the hospital room to keep us busy until the nurses/surgeon/anesthesiologist started visiting.
Here we are already in gown, and with IV in.
Before we knew it, it was time for me to be rolled away to the OR. I left Kyle with tears in my eyes as nerves were starting to really kick in, but at the same time I felt so supported and ready to get it over with. Once in the OR they said that they would give me something to relax, and that's all I remember! One of the nurses called Kyle twice from the OR to let him know how the surgery was going and how I was doing... which was so nice.
The surgery went great (around 45 minutes total) and then I spent an hour and a half in the recovery room. I don't remember much from that time except:
1) I saw my surgeon accidentally walk in on a nurse in the bathroom HAHA
2) The "recovery room" was basically an open hallway right across from the nurses station
3) The nurse was asking me questions and I was completely hoarse... so naturally I started freaking out saying "did they nick my vocal chord?" haha
4) They had to give me more pain medicine and that's why I had to stay in recovery longer than usual
5) and lastly that I COULDN'T WAIT to see Kyle and I know I told the nurses that at least 100 times
So how did my body react to anesthesia? Great! Here I am talking about the surgery but most importantly how much I love Kyle, haha. It'll be a little hard to hear since I was so hoarse after the surgery but I still thought I would share.
Here is how my neck looked afterward... lots of bruising but super glue holding incision together perfectly.
I spent the next two days upstairs in bed sleeping, while Kyle took care of me and packed our house, and Mom took complete care of Emery. Oh, I'm so grateful for these two and how I did not have to worry about one thing but resting!
Thank you everyone who said a prayer for me the day of surgery... it really meant the world to have your support. It couldn't have gone any better, and I'm so thankful to have that behind me. The following Thursday I had a follow up appointment with the surgeon, where he took off my super glue, checked the incision, went over medicine instructions (have to take thyroid replacement pill for rest of my life) and last but most importantly discussed my pathology report.
After biopsying all 3 nodules, unfortunately one did come back malignant. The papillary carcinoma was not contained inside the
nodule and actually had an opening against the right
side of my thyroid, which in theory gives the cancer a perfect way to
spread. As scary as that news was to hear, my tumor was SUPER super
small, so we are hoping the amount of cancerous cells floating around in
my neck are minimal, if any.
One of the things that I learned at a follow up endocrinologist appointment here in NC is that the first place thyroid cancer spreads is to your lymph nodes. Our game plan right now is to go back to the doctor on November 2nd to do a detailed ultrasound of my neck through radiology to look specifically for tumors and enlarged lymph nodes (which they'll biopsy right then if they are enlarged or a tumor exists). They will also running lab work on me that day to check my thyroid levels (how my body is responding to this medicine), and get a baseline for my "tumor marker" number. This number will be checked monthly to make sure my number is not increasing as that is a sign of cancer growing.
After this appointment we will make a decision of whether to continue monitoring my status with ultrasounds & lab work, or if we should go ahead and do the radioactive iodine treatment. I will most likely do the radioactive iodine treatment at some point, but for right now it's not our first choice as there are some temporary side effects and it would significantly delay our hope to grow our family in the next few years. Needless to say, if the doctor feels it at all necessary to do the radioactive iodine treatment sooner than later, we will follow his lead and will embrace the new plan for our family.
One of the things that I learned at a follow up endocrinologist appointment here in NC is that the first place thyroid cancer spreads is to your lymph nodes. Our game plan right now is to go back to the doctor on November 2nd to do a detailed ultrasound of my neck through radiology to look specifically for tumors and enlarged lymph nodes (which they'll biopsy right then if they are enlarged or a tumor exists). They will also running lab work on me that day to check my thyroid levels (how my body is responding to this medicine), and get a baseline for my "tumor marker" number. This number will be checked monthly to make sure my number is not increasing as that is a sign of cancer growing.
After this appointment we will make a decision of whether to continue monitoring my status with ultrasounds & lab work, or if we should go ahead and do the radioactive iodine treatment. I will most likely do the radioactive iodine treatment at some point, but for right now it's not our first choice as there are some temporary side effects and it would significantly delay our hope to grow our family in the next few years. Needless to say, if the doctor feels it at all necessary to do the radioactive iodine treatment sooner than later, we will follow his lead and will embrace the new plan for our family.
I am sorry to write a novel, but that is the "other news" I hinted to in the title of this post. Thank you in advance for your prayers on our upcoming appointment!
24 comments:
You are a champ Sweetie and Daddy and I love you to pieces! Praying like crazy here...
Wow, praying for you, Leah! That is very scary, but I'm glad the tumor is no longer in your body and everything went well... and you still have your voice. So cute that you recorded a "just in case I lose my voice" video. I wrote a "just in case I don't make it through surgery" letter when I had surgery for my endometriosis a couple years ago. Fairly dramatic, yes, but it made me feel better :)
I am so sorry that you had to deal with this scariness. My cousin had the same type of thyroid cancer. I am happy to report after having her thyroid removed and some treatment she is perfectly healthy! I am praying for you and your little family :)
you got this! :) obviously praying! and hoping for some clarity and comfort on nov. 2nd.
O Leah!!! Praying for you! i know that must be scary but what a blessing they found it early! Please keep us all updated! Excited you are back in NC! :)
Wow, Leah! You have been dealing with a lot lately. I will be thinking about and praying for you!
Lots of prayers coming from Marietta! Gosh, you guys have had a lot going on these past few months. I'm so sorry Leah. We will be praying for November 2nd and that there will be clarity on how you should proceed on with or without treatment. Praying for peace for you and Kyle. Much love, Kathleen
Prayers to you! Glad to hear that everything went well for the surgery! Hoping all that follows will be nothing but good news! :)
Praying for you!
Leah, I'm so glad that you removed your thyroid when you did, though we never dreamed this would open up this whole new area of worry... I have been and will continue to be praying for your doctor's wisdom and for your total protection/healing! Love you so much!!!
Leah, thanks for sharing this. I am praying praying praying for you my friend!
Goodness! I'm just so glad you had the surgery when you did! We will be praying for good news!!
Leah! I am so glad you decided to go ahead and get it removed. I have actually had several friends with thyroid cancer that did end up needing the radio active iodine. Will be praying for your follow up appointment that there are no signs that it has spread and that you will NOT have to have the iodine treatment anytime soon
What can I say? You are my grandchild and I love you so much. The Lord and your faith will get you through this, and I thank you for explaining this so clearly. I didn't get to watch the video as it said it was "private".You are in my constant prayers. Leah.
Praying for you! I know that must be so scary! The Lord is in complete control! =)
Praying and trusting in the Lord to heal you completely. Thank you for sharing.
Leah, what an amazing woman of God you are! I will continue to pray for you and your family as you go through this. God is able! He is always on your side and will turn this into a good thing because He is good! Thank you for taking the time to share your story!
Thinking of you, Leah and praying that everything goes well... the timing was not perfect and yet so perfect to find and take care of what needed to be done. Trust that it will all be okay. Aunt Laurie
Oh Leah, so thankful that everything went well. We were definitely praying!
Leah, I'm glad the surgery went well and you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers!
So glad the surgery went well and I will certainly be praying!
so sorry to read about all this extra stuff you're having to deal with! i saw on your mom's fb that you had surgery- we'll be praying for you that all levels stay normal & that your recovery continues well! i admit too that i often check your blog hoping to see baby news :) praying for your sweet family!
Ive been blog writing and reading MIA and clearly missed this. Although I am thrilled to hear you are doing so well I am still praying that you have found peace regarding postponing family planning temporarily to take care of your health. We will be thinking of you often. Sending our love and prayers for continued health!
Ive been blog writing and reading MIA and clearly missed this. Although I am thrilled to hear you are doing so well I am still praying that you have found peace regarding postponing family planning temporarily to take care of your health. We will be thinking of you often. Sending our love and prayers for continued health!
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!