Thursday, January 3, 2013

Family Birthdays Sign -- DIY

The next sign we made was for Kyle's mom, as a way to remember all of our birthdays since our family keeps growing so rapidly!  I found this sign on Pinterest, followed her instructions basically to a tee and we are so happy with the outcome!

So, first we bought a piece of cabinet grade plywood, cut it down to 24" long by 6" tall and then routed all the edges to make it look more finished.  Next step was painting the entire thing your text color, we chose a creamy white paint.  Then place on your vinyl letters cut by your silhouette!
While I was then painting the entire sign gray, Kyle started pre drilling holes in the wooden disks for the eye hooks.  This was the hardest part, so buy as thick of disks as you can find!
Coming together! (This is how it looked once I peeled off my vinyl letters!)

Next step was painting the disks.  I chose a different color for each family, so we had a total of 4 colors used.
Once dry either hand write or cut more vinyl letters to put the persons name and day born on each disk.  Open all the eye hooks and connect the disks to the main board and each other if there are 2 or more birthdays in a month.
And VOILA a Family Birthday board!  We love how this one came out and might need to make more of these at some point!

8 comments:

Sara said...

so jealous you had a silhouette! i did that whole joker by hand. :) looks great!!

Grandma said...

You two are so talented!

Jen said...

I really love this sign. I was afraid to do it because Davids family is so big and I'd have a ton of small circles to do... might have to start early and craft some of these.

Unknown said...

LOVE this!!! This may be a gift we have to make and it made be made quite a few times! lol

Nicole-Lynn said...

This is adorable, great idea!

Boomps Blog said...

Love this, Leah! Did you use vinyl letters on the discs?

Linda said...

You two are a great team and it turned out fantastic! This was very tedious work and I know Brenda loved it! As the family grows, it's easy to lose track of birthdays, so this was a great idea.

Unknown said...

Wish you sold them <3 would love to have 2 made <3
If you do - let me know... can set up deliver :-)

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails