Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Go Jump in the Lake Sign -- DIY

As I shared in yesterday's post, Kyle and I decided to make a "Go Jump in the Lake" sign for Kyle's dad for Christmas.  I found this one from pinterest ($60-- yikes!), and got to work trying to replicate it! Kyle cut a sheet of plywood 22x30 and routed the edges for me so it wouldn't be so rough.  We borrowed dad's machine for this, thanks again Dad!  Here is Ky getting a quick lesson!
So the first step is to paint your board whatever color you want the letters to be.  We went with a white washed blue. (We bought tester sizes of paint from Home Depot, it was plenty!)
 Next, cut your vinyl letters from your silhouette and draw light pencil lines onto your board to make sure you are placing them correctly (I chose not to buy the $8 transfer paper, so I laid each letter individually -- which actually went pretty quickly!).
 Erase all your pencil marks when you are done and make sure your vinyl is really pressed down on every edge.
 Then paint your whole board your background color, we chose a white/cream color.
Peel off your letters, then take sand paper and antique on edges and certain parts of the board.
We love the way it came out!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you guys make the Birthday Calendar in the post before this one?? If so will you tell us how you did it! That is a great idea for growing families!

Grandma said...

A lot of work, guys, but the end result is perfect!

Linda said...

I saw all your hard work and it turned out amazing! Know Don will treasure it always and the picture of Raven sitting beside it is adorable!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails