Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fun at the library

This post is probably common sense to so many parents, but Kyle and I had no clue how awesome libraries were--especially when you have a little one to entertain!  The library near our Marietta house was scary and I think that's why we thought all libraries were horrible.  As soon as we moved up here, I researched free story times and the 2 libraries near our house popped up.  They are both awesome (Cornelius & Huntersville) and offer different things.  Mr. George in the Cornelius library is amazing with kids, and has officially earned Emery's trust (see below where she went up to the front of the class-- WITHOUT ME-- to get her hand stamped).
 
The Huntersville branch rotates teachers, and to be honest they don't even come close to Mr. George but Emery still has a great time doing crafts, catching bubbles and singing.  Last week the teacher was trying to teach the kids to "BRINK, BRINK" (she was trying to say blink) and every kid was looking around like what is this lady saying?  I was dying laughing.

I think what's surprised me most about libraries is the limit of items you can have checked out at one time.  90! Rreally who could keep track of that many items? Especially when you have 3 weeks to return them all! (AND they have cds there too that you can rent, for kids and adults.  I've rented Coldplay, Joshua Radin, Christmas Music, etc).  

Since we go to the library every week, we trade out new books every time we visit and I can really see a difference in Emery's vocabulary based on the new books she is reading.  My sister gave us an awesome book stand, and we keep that downstairs just for our library books!

And lastly here is a recent video of Em saying the words from one of her favorite books right now called "Baby Shoes".  The words that we are saying are: "Baby Says -- Uh Oh, Mommy Says -- Oh No, But those shoes just Go, Go, Go!"  I just love this age, so cute!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Libraries are an amazing place! I grew up going to the library all the time....mom would go do groceries, which was right across from the library, so I'd go there, and she'd pick me up when she was done. Now we live a block from a library, and go every tuesday night. Everyone from the head librarian, to the cafe owner to the Janitor, know our son by name. Not us, oh no, we're Jonas' mom/dad....but it's been such an incredible place to watch our son grow and learn and to make friends/family! And they offer so much beyond just books! Glad you've found a place you're comfortable in!

jill said...

i love the library. i started taking fletcher when he was just months old to a class they called 'babes in arms'. we did nursery rhymes and hand gesture songs that i still sing today, almost 4 yrs later. we also visit for story time now, every other week. i look forward to our library outings to see my kids play with others and to get a little adult interaction during the day.

Linda said...

Good mommy Leah taking her to library! She obviously loves it and is soaking it all in!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails