Monday, May 20, 2013

CALLING ALL PARENTS: Nutrition!

Anyone else have a toddler that is getting to be a pickier eater by the day?  I've been wanting to write this post for a while now, and I really would love to hear your tricks/tips/input on what you do or use to fill your child up with the right foods!  But until then, here are a couple things we are currently trying in our house!

A couple months ago, I talked with our pediatrician about what we could do to keep Emery's immune system high all the time.  When Emery teethes her immune system gets suppressed, making her more susceptible to catching other things... which is when she gets the really high fevers.  I talked to her about vitamins, supplements, important foods and other things to help Emery get the anti-oxidants and vitamins that she needs for a strong immune system.  One of the first things she recommended to me was not a multivitamin (so many of these are filled with unnecessary ingredients-- sugar being a top one in the gummies) but for us to try Juice Plus.  
Luckily, one of our close family friends, Jenna, is a distributor of Juice Plus so I immediately contacted her to hear more about it.  Not only is Jenna a distributor of JP, but she is also a nutritionist who has an undeniable passion for healthy living and someone who's opinion I truly value.  Thank you again Jenna for taking the time to talk everything out with me -- click HERE if you haven't read her blog on our sidebar yet!  After talking with her, I felt like this was definitely worth a shot to start Emery on the daily chewables which would add the nutrition of 17 fruits, vegetables, and grains to her diet!  She loves them and reminds me as soon as we go downstairs "Need vitamins mom!  Two reds and 2 purples!" haha.  It comes to around $20 per month, but if your child is between the ages of 4 and 18 they can participate in the children's health study and get theirs for free if you are taking it.  With that said, please do your own research on this and make sure it's the right thing for your family!

Another recommendation that Jenna had was to start drinking smoothies in the morning with Emery.  It's a great way for us to stuff in veggies without Emery knowing, and it really does taste delicious.  So here's a picture of what we've been doing... spinach, berries, coconut water and some yogurt... YUM.  Here's the link to Jenna's smoothie recipe-- we'll be trying that soon!
Like I said, Emery loves them and I'm so glad we're getting some spinach in her.  A lot of our friends put kale in theirs too, but we haven't tried that yet.  My sister does spinach with banana smoothies and said her kids drink it down so quickly!

Oh and I have to share a flop we had the other day.  Since Emery loves yogurt dots so much I thought it would be perfect for me to buy some organic toddler veggie pouches and freeze them to help get some nutrients in her.  MAJOR BUST Emery won't even put them in her mouth... oh well at least I tried!
So now it's your turn!  
What are you doing with your kids?  Any brands, vitamins, foods, supplements  ... Please please share! 

8 comments:

Big EZ said...

Organic Toddler veggie Pouches???? Run Emery Run! Hide! Love, Grandpa.

Unknown said...

This is a great post Leah! Thanks for including me. I'm glad this suggestions are helpful. You can post anything from my blog any day. I am honored! I love your frozen dot idea. Try them again another time or mix them with greek yogurt and then freeze them. Maybe that would make them yummier.

Love to you all!

Jillian said...

Thanks for posting this! I will definitely be looking into the Juice Plus! Caroline is getting a bit pickier as well, but does love her green smoothies. I also make juice with carrot, apple, and coconut water that she seems to enjoy. Getting her to eat meat is our biggest issue right now, don't think I can put that in a smoothie =)

Kathleen said...

Did you know that the Arnolds have been taking JP for years? Chris and I did for awhile, but haven't in a few years b/c of cost. We probably should start back though. I make Myer smoothies and add Kale, which you can't even taste, and flax seed. I also bake Kale for about 10 minutes in the oven. All it needs is some olive oil and a tiny bit of salt. It's almost like a chip. He loves it! Another thing he likes is hummus, which gives him protein. He is such a good eater right now, but I've heard it gets harder once they are toddlers. You're such a good mom Leah!

Jen said...

Smoothies are definitely the way to go. Max demands one every morning now. We do add the Kale and you really can't taste it (just make sure to wash it good). We also use almond milk and flax seed in addition to the banana, frozen strawberries, blueberries and grapes. I like Kathleen's idea of hummus with whole wheat pitas would be great, too.

leah said...

Jillian, we've found with Emery that dips help A TON. Ketchup, ranch dressing, bbq sauce -- she loves it and will gladly eat meat if we allow her to dip a little. Just go for the sauces with no high fructose corn syrup (Bulls Eye for BBQ). Hope that helps!

Cindy Lou said...

Thanks Leah!
I began a search for natural ways to increase my girls' immunity a few months back, and one of things I started was a multivitamin only available at Whole Foods and Elderberry Syrup in their juice. But, this JP really interests me! I signed up for the health study --so we'll see!
Oh, and wonderful news on your Post RAI appt. Praise God for healing in your family-- first your Dad and now you!

Linda said...

I'm with Dad on those veggie dots! Good for you doing everything you can to boost Emery's immune system and help her to grow up healthy and strong! Juice Plus is good stuff!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails