Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Raleigh family weekend

Last weekend we went home to Raleigh to visit with our new nephew on Kyle's side, and to spend some time with my dad before he starts the second round of high dose chemo. It was such a short weekend, but we so enjoyed spending time with both sides of our family.

I sadly didn't take any picture all weekend (I'm blaming it on the nausea- ha) but my family did take some on Saturday night that I wanted to share. We had a wonderful dinner: Filet Mignon grilled perfectly by Kyle, baked potatoes and the most amazing dessert I've ever had by Pioneer Woman (I will be making this soon and posting the recipe for you guys). Even though Dad's numbers were higher than they have been, we still wore masks and washed our hands a lot to protect him from any germs that we all might be carrying.

Natalie is such a Grandpa's girl (another character trait she gets from me!). She loves to snuggle with him in his hospital bed and play games on his iphone. Tara got some really cute shots of them together:
I think the sweetest moment of the night was when Jamie was about to say a prayer right before dinner, so we were all silent, and Natalie looked up at Dad and said "I love you so much Grandpa". We all got tears in our eyes, as it was so genuine and meant the world to Dad.
Here he is right before dinner!
I think one of the funniest moments of the night was when Grandma was helping get dinner on the table. She starts bopping up and down and rapping "I am a hip Grandma with an iphone and a macbook". Kyle and I both said WHAT?!?! You have a Mac?? haha. She fell in love with Tara's last week and bought one herself. She seriously amazes me everyday. (And if you are wondering Nick and Kyle will be making up rap lyrics soon and hopefully we can get it on video!)
After dinner we all just hung out in the living room. I can't believe how big the Sams are getting, and they are the cutest babies ever. I love how they smile back at you and are now babbling up a storm!
I wouldn't trade family time for the world, and it was the perfect way to send mom and dad off to the Duke apartment. Please keep my dad in your prayers as this afternoon he gets the second round of high dose chemo, and then tomorrow will get the transplant of cells. He will be in quarantine for probably the next 3 weeks, with my mom taking care of him in the apartment.
We love you Dad and are so glad we could spend time with you before your transplant!

7 comments:

Lacey said...

So glad you had such a great family weekend!! Natalie's story gave me chill bumps it was so sweet! And the story about your grandma rapping was awesome, how fun!! (I'm looking forward to the rap video after Kyle & Nick make up the lyrics) :) I'll be thinking about your Dad today and I'll be praying everything goes well!

Grandma said...

Loved having you and Kyle here and yes, Kyle, we all commented on how the steaks were cooked to perfection. You are king of the grill. As always, your visits are all too short. Love you guys!

the girl in the red shoes said...

Your family is so adorable. Praying for your dad!

Anonymous said...

I have read a similar post 3 times (Yours, Tara's, and Mrs. Linda's) and almost started crying 3 times after reading about sweet little natalie! I love reading your blog! :0)

Tara said...

Great minds think alike~ We all posted on the same day:) Yes, it was a wonderful weekend. The steaks and dessert were incredible, the fellowship and laughter was medicine to our souls, and just being together brought so much strength to continue on this journey. Love you so much!

Linda said...

I ditto everything Tara said (happens alot where I start to write and it ends up identical to yours or Tara's), except to add that we all sure did enjoy seeing your little growing tummy too!

Jenn & David said...

I am so glad that you were able to make the trip home! Still praying for you daddy every day!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails