Thursday, December 2, 2010

Our Thanksgiving Travels

Last Wednesday, we ended up taking half days at work, to miss the terrible holiday traffic out of ATL.  Our plan worked and we arrived at the cabin in Boone just in time for a spaghetti dinner with my family! It was great to spend some quality time with everyone in the family, and we had a great time relaxing, laughing and enjoying some time in the Valle Crusis Park.

OH and we spilled the beans and told them our name for our baby girl :)  I do have to say that KYLE was the one who cracked and said that we had to tell them.  We had tortured my family for about an hour with some really tough hints, and NO ONE was close!  I think my dad's favorite guess was "CARLTON" hahahahaha.
The Sams seriously couldn't get any cuter!  Love how much they are smiling right now!
Mom and Grandma had prepared almost all the food in advance, so all we had to do was stick it them in the oven.  It was absolutely delicious!
This Thanksgiving was an emotional one for my family, as we truly have so much to be thankful for.  Just the fact that dad was able to eat with us at dinner had me in tears all night.  It's been a tough year for my family, and I think it says so much by how we can all begin the year crying around Tara's dining room table trying to take in some tough news, and end the year crying because we are so thankful how this year has panned out.  God is good!

After dinner we all went out and enjoyed the campfire that Kyle had made.  Natalie and Nathan had helped him collect sticks all afternoon for it, so we stayed out there for a while!  And look in the picture below, Dad's hair is starting to grow back!!
On Friday, it was time to head to Winston Salem, NC for Mikey's (Kyle's brother in law) 30th surprise birthday party!  Rachel did such a great job organizing the event, and we had a great time catching up with all of Mike's family and friends.  Here is the entire Guenther/Cress/Clifton clan:
After the party, we finished the drive to Raleigh and slept at Kerry & Brads house.  Saturday was so relaxing, as the girls sat and talked while the guys worked on the Model-A in the garage.  The food was amazing, and the dessert was even better as Brenda made 4 pies!!  

Kerry and Brad told us the gender of their baby (A BOY!), and we did tell Kyle's family our name, by playing hang man!  Everyone loves the name we picked out, and I'm so happy about that!!
Sunday Kyle and I woke up at 8 and were on the road back to Atlanta so he could start demo on the storage room wall.  It was a whirlwind of a trip, but we are so thankful for our families and how close we all are.  What a year this has been, we are so blessed!!

8 comments:

TupeloLove said...

SO much to be thankful for! What a great holiday, so glad you got to spend time with both families! And I want to know the name SO BAD!! Ah! So excited for you guys.

Linda said...

Beautiful recap Leah and so true about how our year began with tears of fear and ended with tears of joy! Love you and thanks so much for sharing our granddaughter's beautiful name...it was torture trying to guess!!

Lacey said...

I LOVE all of your pictures from Thanksgiving with your families! This post made me smile! It looks like you had such a great time celebrating the holidays together! And I love that your Dad guessed "Carlton!" :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a very long time creeper & stalker of your blog. I can't really remember how I found it but I just kept on coming back to read about your adventures. Congrats on your new addition coming soon & what a wonderful thanksgiving to spend with your family. :)

the girl in the red shoes said...

The pictures of your family are so adorable! Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. And now I'm dying to know the baby name!!!

Sara said...

i'm glad you had time to relax even in the middle of the whirlwind!

what a year your family has had... praise the Lord it is ending on such a good note.

Tara said...

So glad that we got to spend time with you! And the pictures don't do it justice~ My children absolutely adore their Uncle Kyle and Aunt Leah!!! We do have so much to be thankful for this year, and what a relief that instead of tears of fear/sadness, this time they were tears of joy!!!

PS. LOVE the chosen name! I'm so glad that ya'll cracked and told us. We were close, but yet oh so far away! So, what's your plan for sharing it with everyone else now? You've got their interest peeked!!!

Ruth Poirier said...

So what is the name anyway I thought for sure at the end you'd tell us all!! I always love browsing your blog, we are for sure trying the pumpkin apple bread at Christmas. We are so thankful for the friendship of your family and the good news you all are rejoicing in now.

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails