Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Plumbing, Concrete and Crown Molding Complete!

It was so nice having another weekend in town to make some more progress on our projects.  Starting with the basement bathroom project, a lot has happened!  Last week, the plumber came out and rerouted pipes and the electricity for us.
He worked a full day at our house to do it all as it was a ton of work for sure.  We were excited to see the pipes coming up for the toilet, shower and vanity as it helps us picture where they are going!  He also rerouted pipes to go behind the hot water heater to give us more space, and in turn gives us a bigger shower!
Next was Kyle's part, putting the dirt, gravel, re barb and concrete back in the hole! It was nice to not have all that dirt in our garage anymore!  There was a little high spot forming in the middle, so while it was still hardening he scraped some of that off.
When I went downstairs a couple hours later I noticed something...
Isn't that so cute?  Kyle carved our initials in the cement.  That's totally something that I would do, and I love that Kyle came up with that all on his own :)
While the concrete was hardening, we started priming and painting the crown molding in the garage.  Since I had already painted the walls I didn't want to have to paint the crown from a ladder too.  Once the molding was dry, we carried the trim upstairs for the crown molding project to start in the nursery.  It was NOT easy, we'll just put it that way.  Our walls are not straight so it was infuriating for Kyle to try to make the cuts for the pieces to fit correctly.  Chris came over, and with both of their brains and muscles together they finished the project.  Kyle and I finished it up with putty-ing the nail holes and putting caulk in the cracks.  Man what a difference caulk makes!!
I still have to paint over the caulk and putty marks but we are so excited that the trim is up!

8 comments:

the girl in the red shoes said...

Wow the crown molding looks great! I'm sad to hear that it was so hard! We've been wanting to add it to one of our guest rooms. And I love that Kyle wrote your initials in the cement...so cute!

Lacey said...

Way to go Kyle! That's awesome you guys got all of that done! The crown molding looks so good in the nursey!

Big EZ said...

Super job on both projects. Crown molding is an art to do it correctly and it gets extra trying when the walls/ceilings/corners are not square. Caulk is definitely a friend. Glad to see that the plumber could reroute the waste line to make the shower larger. Looks like 101 fittings! We are so proud of Kyle for taking on these projects and are jealous that we can't be there to help. Love the three of you! EZ

Holly said...

Looks like everything is coming together so nicely! I am LOVING Emery's room so far!

Rachel and John said...

wow it looks good! Everything is coming together nicely!

Sara said...

love it! emery's room is ready for STUFF! :)

Tara said...

I love Dad's comment~ You know he'd be down there in a heartbeat if he could!!!! But like he said, you guys have done an amazing job on some very difficult projects. But they are really taking shape! So exciting!!!

PS. Can't wait to see all the stuff in Emery's room. And cant wait to come down there and use that bathroom!!! Love you! 2 days until I see you!!!

pex said...

Great remodeling job.

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails