Sunday, May 9, 2010

Cinco de Mayo with Friends!

For Cinco de Mayo we had some friends over for dinner! The above picture just cracks me up... too bad Matt and Amy had already left and he couldn't join in the fun! Everyone brought items for the dinner and it was delicious-- we had SO much food! (Guacamole, Salsa, Sausage Queso, Chips, Beef, Turkey, Rice, Beans, and all the other toppings!)

I made The Pioneer Woman's "Basic Mexican Rice". It was SO good, I just have to share! (BTW if you haven't become addicted to her blog, check out that link and you will be soon. Photography, Cooking, Ranch stories AND she used to be a Ballerina... I really would like to be friends with her)

Basic Mexican Rice
Ingredients
• 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
• ½ whole Large Onion, Chopped
• 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
• 2 cups Long Grain Rice
• 1 can Rotel (10 Ounce)
• 1 can Whole Tomatoes (14.5 Ounce)
• 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (more If Needed)
• 1 teaspoon Cumin (more To Taste)
• 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
• Fresh Cilantro, Chopped

Instructions

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions, then cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add rice and garlic. Stir constantly, making sure the rice doesn’t burn. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add Ro-tel and tomatoes. Stir to combine and let cook for 2 minutes. Finally, add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 additional minutes or until rice is done. Add more liquid as needed; rice shouldn’t be sticky. Just before serving, sprinkle lots of freshly chopped cilantro over the top. Serve immediately.

So there are all of our toppings... it was delicious! I wish I had taken pictures of everything else but I was running around crazy trying to get everything put together! Thanks Jen, Kathleen, Amy, Chris, Matt and Chris for coming over, we need to do it again soon!

Just in case you didn't get a close enough view of Tyson in the first picture:
HAHAHA. Hope you all had wonderful Cinco de Mayo's as well!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Why is Chris making a sad face?! I am super impressed at your ability to make Tyson wear a hat! Ole!

Nick said...

tyson = awesome

Linda said...

What a great post! So happy for all the friends and fun you have in Marietta. Love the sombreros, especially on Tyso...what a champ!

Tara said...

What a fun night! And yes, Tyson in a hat is definitely "suitable for framing" :) Love ya!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails