Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hiking Linville Gorge in NC

We had the best time hiking Linville Gorge on Sunday. Unbelievably, I had never been there before, so we had to check that one off the list! Kyle had hiked this with Chris one winter while we were in school so everything looked so different to him... we got a little lost but found our way there in the end!
We took a couple pictures from the overlook up top and then decided to start heading down to the river!
The entire hike is switchbacks, but I love how we weren't completely covered by trees the entire time and could see where we were going. We didn't pass one person the entire time down, man how we love being in Boone where there aren't a ton of people everywhere like ATL. Tyson loved being off the leash exploring everything (although when is he ever on a leash?).
We took this picture so you can see the switchbacks... that hike is so steep!
We made it down to the river in about 30 minutes... it's only about a mile and a half each way. The water felt SO good!
Tyson kept getting caught in the current, but loved swimming. Kyle and I both took off our shoes and put our feet in the water for a bit. We had packed some sandwiches for lunch, so we sunbathed as we ate!
Kyle and I:
Sadly we packed up and started back up the mountain. It was definitely a steep hike back up, but we made it I think in like an hour and a half. On one part of the hike, I took my time so I was a little ways behind Kyle. Tyson hates when Kyle and I get seperated so he stayed in between us the entire time. If I stopped to breathe he would stop and just look back at me until I moved again. What a sweet boy!

I had to get a picture by the sign of course... and those walking sticks were just resting there for whoever to use.
I combined some of my pictures so you could see the view.... so beautiful -- we love the mountains!

10 comments:

The Schreibman Family said...

What an awesome day trip! I love how you pieced the photos together in that last photo...!

Tara said...

How much fun! Jamie and I (and Mom and Dad!) hiked and camped in the Linville Gorge in high school. It is beautiful! I love how you pieced together the pictures and how you remembered to pack sandwiches to eat at the river. So peaceful and relaxing!

Jen said...

It looks so pretty there! I also love the last photo where you pieced it all together. I want to start doing little hikes. You'll have to tell me some good ones in Georgia that you've done.

Sara said...

umm, i think i would have cried at the thought of going back up after lunch, haha! i can tell from your picture with the sign that it was H - A - R - D! you had a beautiful day... fun fun.

TupeloLove said...

We are going to go an hike that on Saturday I think! We have never been to Linville either, you will have to tell me where we should go!! :-) Miss you!

Lacey said...

Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL! That's awesome! I don't think I could've kept up though haha

Jessica said...

love all your pictures of course, but the first one is breathtaking with the bird in flight. what a cool moment! looks like fun! :)

Linda said...

What a gorgeous day...so happy it didn't rain! I can't believe how high up you were and that you had to go back up after going all the way down! Yikes! Glad you weren't carrying huge packs or anything. Tyson must have loved every minute of that water! Thanks for sharing your amazing pics!

Bonnie Widmaier said...

great trip. tyson is so cool!

the girl in the red shoes said...

Beautiful pictures! Looks like a great trip!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails