Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dad's home!

After finishing another round of radiation (10 sessions) to help with the pain (as we told you about here), my dad was able to checkout of the hospital today! He had been there for 31 days, and my mom had been staying with him the entire time. Our whole family is SO excited to have them home, but I think the doggies are on a whole other level of excitement as you can see in the picture above! Both dogs are actually smiling... haha.

On April 22, a physical therapist brainstormed on his time off how to get dad mobile again. The next day, he brought in this machine that is used to help get people out of their wheelchairs.... and it worked for dad! Here he is showing off "no hands" standing with no leg pain!
On April 26, they got dad up with the machine and walking! He had to retrain his muscles to walk, crazy. The physical therapist even made him do some squats to start warming the muscles up.
By the 28th dad was getting up from the bed, walking, and laying back down all with a walker! What progress he's made so quickly.
They moved his chemo up a day (he has it every Friday normally) so he could check out today and go home. A physical therapist will come to their house 3 times a week to work on strengthening exercises, and then in between dad will work with mom and nick walking and the transition from bed to standing. Love you dad!!
Thank you so much for your prayers, they are working please keep them up!

The Lord is good, a Strength and Stronghold in the day of trouble; He knows those who take refuge and trust in Him. Nahum 1:7

11 comments:

Erin said...

Leah, that is such fabulous news! I'm so glad he's home where he belongs AND his pups are happy! Tell him his grippy socks are cute! ;o)

Jillian said...

I am SOOOO happy to hear (well, read) this!!! We'll still be praying!!

the girl in the red shoes said...

Great news! God is so good. I will keep your dad (and family) in my prayers!

Tara said...

He's home! He's home! He's home!!! Just a week after we posted the prayer requests...If that's not the power of prayer, I don't know what is!

Love you!!!!

Jessica said...

I am so happy for your dad and family! What a happy day! :) My parents and I will continue to keep your dad in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

yay Mr. Ernie is home!! i'm so glad! :0)

Cathy and Marshall said...

I'm so glad, Leah!

Big EZ said...

Linda and I want to thank the many prayer warriors that continued to "lift us up" over the last 31 days. Your prayers were a constant source of encouragement and support.
Our Lord, the Great Physician, clearly was involved in the elimination of the leg pain. PTL!
We came home today! Thank you again for your love, concern and prayers!

Brenda said...

It's so wonderful to hear Ernie is home! Prayers answered! We're close by if they need anything!
Love you!

Graceandjoelroberts said...

Praise God! That is AWESOME! We'll keep praying for you guys! Thanks for the update!

Unknown said...

Praise God! I was very happy to hear this news today!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails