Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pucky

Sunday night around 9:30 pm we headed upstairs to get ready for bed. Puck was doing his normal "hungry routine" of running back and forth between the laundry room (where they get fed) and our bedroom (to tell us he's hungry.) Almost every night I close him in our room for a couple minutes so I don't have to hear him constantly meowing. Well this time when I slammed the door to keep him in our room, he decided to try and run out. His tail got caught in the door, but he kept running. I can't even explain the feeling that I had when I opened the door and saw the pile of fur with a little piece of his tail in it...

We rushed to the emergency vet clinic about a mile away from our house and they took Puck back immediately to check his vitals. (What's crazy is that Puck didn't even get that his tail was hurt, he kept running back upstairs to beg for his dinner). We waited in the vet for over 2.5 hours before the doctor came to talk to us. She finally came in and told us that Puck needed surgery to cut off the exposed vertebrae, which in essence would make his tail about 2 inches shorter than it normally was. We gave her the green light, then headed home to get about 2 hours of sleep before we could pick him up.
Kyle let me sleep (I have a cold and took NyQuil before everything happened) while he picked up Puck around 2:15 am. The surgery went very well. When they got home I sat in our bathroom with Puck for a while. He was so drugged he kept running into everything, and those Elizabethan collars are just terrible. I finally couldn't fight the NyQuil anymore and went back to sleep for 30 minutes. The next 4 hours were spent getting out of bed every 30 minutes or so-- trying to calm down Puck and putting his Elizabethan collar back on.
I ended up staying home on Monday to make sure Puck was okay and didn't try to take off the bandage (I have completely given up on making him wear the collar). We go back to the vet Tuesday afternoon to get his bandage changed, and then in 10 days to get the stitches out. After everything he has been through and now this, he definitely wins the award for 'toughest cat'. You can't imagine how terrible I feel that this happened, just one of those freak accidents that we'll be sure never happens again...

11 comments:

the girl in the red shoes said...

Oh poor Puck! I'm sure you felt awful about it, so maybe I should say poor Leah! I'm so glad that he is okay and hope he makes a quick recovery!

Erin said...

Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon!

Nick said...

hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

sorry leah, as im sure this event traumatized you, but HAHA

pucks a beast, rips his tail off and still goes straight for the food dish

Jenn & David said...

so sorry to hear about little Puck! I know he will be just fine! :) Hope you are holding up and feeling better too.

Sara said...

it is very sad, but i did giggle a little because it's a funny story! especially many years from now when puck is gone, you'll look back and laugh i'm sure!

i can't believe he wasn't even worried about his tail and he just wanted to eat! that is crazy!

hope he's feeling better... he sure has put you through a lot over the years. and i hope you're feeling better too!

Drea said...

ouch! i didnt even know there was a pet ER :)

glad hes ok.

Linda said...

Poor Pucky Puck! He surely is a trooper when it comes to trauma and I can't believe he can even lift his tail with all that gauze. Praying for you too...it was just an accident and as Caesar Milan says, animals live in the moment and right now he is getting LOTS of loving and extra attention! Throw a few more tidbits of food in the mix and he probably couldn't be happier!

Lacey said...

Awww poor Puck!! :( I hope he's feeling better!

Lynsey said...

Poor Puck! Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Mindy said...

Oh Leah I'm so sorry :(

Grandma said...

I am so sorry to hear about Puck's latest accident. He is a tough cat and is definitely a survivor. This latest incident was nothing compared to his first one. Don't feel bad, Leah. He was determined to get to the food. Looking forward to seeing you and Kyle (and Puck) this weekend. Love you!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails