Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Camping at Bear Creek!

Saturday afternoon, Kyle and I headed up into the North Georgia Mountains, near Ellijay to do some camping!  We were so excited as the weather is finally perfect with lows in the 40s and highs in the 70s!  We drove up to Bear Creek Campground, which is pretty hard to find, so there was only a handful of people there.  You actually have to cross a river with your car to go into the parking area, which I thought was cool!  Instead of it being a campground it's more just a huge area of woods where you can camp wherever... FOR FREE!  We hiked in a half a mile and found the perfect spot, surrounded by the river on 2 sides and a hill on the other to make it more private.  It. Was. Awesome!
We got everything set up and threw the stick in the river for Tyson a ton.  By then it was around time for dinner, so Kyle started the fire and we had a great time sitting around it soaking in the warmth.  We had packed some mac & cheese and hot dogs for dinner and it was delicious.  For dessert we had marshmallows and even some freeze-dried ice cream sandwiches left over from our Wyoming Trip.
Around 9:00 we hung our food in a tree (there are bear signs everywhere up there), went inside the tent, played some cards then called it a night.  Kyle was so worried that I wouldn't sleep that well on our little camping pads, but I slept GREAT!  We ended up sleeping till 9:30 that next morning- talk about quiet!

We woke up to it being around 40 degrees-- BRR!  We quickly started the fire and huddled around it for a while.  For breakfast we had pop tarts that we warmed by the fire and some hot chocolate.  We talked for the next couple hours, with me by the fire and Kyle in his sleeping bag inside his hammock and then it was time for an early lunch!  I was SO EXCITED to use my families TONKA MAKER!  I have so many memories of using this to make all sorts of concoctions as a kid, and it cooked our grilled cheese perfectly!
We finally decided it was time to pack up and go for a hike.  It was so nice not to have a "check out" time.  Once we got everything back to the car we drove to some of the Bear Creek Trails that Kyle had been to with a couple mountain bikers.  They were perfect and we hiked a little over 2 miles we think.
It was a great way to spend our weekend.  Tyson is so tired from running and swimming, he barely even made it upstairs last night.  I felt "G-Baby" move so many times this weekend, which might just mean the little one is outdoorsy already!  We love hiking and camping with our little family and I hope it's always something we always make time to do!

14 comments:

Graceandjoelroberts said...

How fun!! Looks like you guys had the perfect weekend and are setting up your family for so many great traditions! We're planning our first camping trip with Ruthie! A little nervous about that one. You look great!!

Big EZ said...

Leah, the TONKA MAKER does bring a lot of delicious memories to mind. We would put pie filling between two pieces of bread..YUM! Bear Creek looks like a great camping hideaway plus you had perfect weather! We are jealous here in Wake Forest!

Linda said...

Glad no bears paid you a visit while you were there...oh my! Beautiful and perfect for family time. Glad you slept great too!

Holly and Chris said...

How fun! I'm glad you are feeling the little one! I can't imagine being 4 months pregnant and hiking 2 miles! Look at you!

Lacey said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I'm glad you got to have such a nice and relaxing weekend together! Your camping food looked delicious too! :)

the girl in the red shoes said...

I have never been much of a camper but you guys make it look so fun! I'm glad you had a chance to get away, relax, and spend time together before G-baby comes!

Sara said...

perfect weekend! we can't wait to start taking our kids camping. :)

Grandma said...

This brings back memories of the days when Grandpa and I were young. We once hiked on the Matanuska Glacier in Alaska. We had to cross the river in a chair lift to get to it. I hope you never get tired of camping!

Jen said...

I do have to agree you guys do make it look fun!

Tara said...

So much fun! What a beautiful spot!!! And yes, the TONKA maker- Love it and can't wait to use ours!

PS. We have been trying to figure out how to go camping too... Nick has a 2 man tent and we have a 2 man tent... so maybe the guys will all pile in one and me and the Sams in their pack n plays in the other? What a hoot that will be!

Holly said...

Looks like a super fun weekend! Enjoy them now...but it will be so fun to bring your little one along one day! I can't wait to do the same!

Embee Style said...

Holla! G-Baby will be a camping champ! So glad you guys got some quiet time to talk, hike, relax, and just spend some time. It's nice to separate from the craziness sometimes!

Jessi said...

I will have to add that spot to our list! Looks great! We can't wait to take Charlie camping :)

Bonnie Widmaier said...

leah you are super mom already. way to go doing all the hiking. you guys will need to start looking for one of those child carrier hiking packs. you can find them in pretty good shape at consignment sales or even on ebay. you will love hiking with baby G.

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails