Monday, January 24, 2011

Name Banner for Emery!

I love natural/rustic fabrics and wanted to include them in Emery's room somehow.  Starting maybe 2 years ago a huge trend in the weddings were banners that hung during the reception that said "love" or "mr. and mrs.", etc.  I've always loved the way they looked and have had it on my list to try for a while.  Finally the other day I sat down and did it!
I bought burlap from JoAnne's fabrics, cut them into triangles and painted each letter of Emery's name on them with brown paint.
I had some linen laying around, so I cut those into triangles as well to back the burlap with.
I loved the stitching that the linen had on the top, so instead of cutting it off I decided to fold it over the top of the jute and pin it that way.  Inside that pocket are 2 strands of twine to hang the banner by.  I stitched it loose enough where I can slide the triangles to whatever space I want, which is nice.
Then I quickly hand stitched the two fabrics together.  Since it's earthy looking anyway, it was great not having to be a perfectionist on this project!
And here is the final outcome.
I still need to iron the linen on the back so it lays flat, and I'm debating stitching around all the sides to hold the fabrics together more.  Either way I'm really happy with it, and hope to find a spot in Emery's room to hang it!  If it doesn't look right over the changing table then I know we'll at least be able to use it in her newborn photos!

23 comments:

the girl in the red shoes said...

So cute Leah! I love it!

Lynsey said...

I love it! What a neat idea.

Melissa Pearce said...

love this!

Rachel said...

I am SO IMPRESSED! You painted those letters? Dang, girl. You are talented. It looks like it's monogrammed on from the pictures. What a precious idea!

amy gb said...

How cute!! You are so creative!! I still wish we were in the same town to decorate together ;) Love you!!

Lacey said...

OMG!! It turned out so cute!!! I love how crafty you are, you should start an etsy shop on the side with those skills! :)

Kathleen said...

Love this Leah! Emery will be blessed to have such a creative mom.

Lauren said...

I wish you lived closer so we could be crafty together! That is one reason I am excited for a little girl who I can do crafts with and bake and decorate cookies...it's much more fun with someone!

Jenn said...

Hey Leah!!! I am soooo excited for you!!!!!!! What is your address? you can send it to my email: jennifer.underhill@gmail.com

I would love to see you soon!!!

Holly said...

You are SO talented Leah!!! It looks beautiful!!!

Sara said...

gorgeous!!!

Kristin said...

You are so creative! When I get pregnant, don't think I'm not going to hit you up for decorating ideas ;)

Jen said...

It's going to look great in Emery's room. Love it!

Bonnie Widmaier said...

so cute you did a great job. i just made some little flags for joris room too. i love the look. your showers looked lovely! cant wait for emery to be here.

lindsey said...

so incredibly cute! she is going to have such a sophisticated nursery! i love the font you picked for her name :)

Derek and Amanda said...

That is awesome! I love it!! :)

Tara said...

This banner is adorable! I love the way it turned out! So cute!!!

Rachel and John said...

That is SO beautiful! I've been looking for something like for Henry's nursery. Did you paint it free hand? BEcause it looks so perfect!

Erika Trevathan said...

Love it!!:)

Graceandjoelroberts said...

It looks GREAT! You did a great job painting the letters! It looks straight out of a baby boutique :-)!

Jenn & David said...

that was a fantastic idea! You are so talented Leah.

Lindsay said...

Very cool, I love it!!! You are very creative.

Grandma said...

What can I say? Everyone beat me to it. I love it, Leah.

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails