Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mom's Visit to ATL!

This year as an early birthday present to mom, my entire family chipped in to buy her a flight to come down and spend a weekend with Kyle and I before Emery comes.  We surprised her with the news last time we were home, and we've all been looking so forward to it!

I picked her up Friday around lunch, and brought her to Jasons Deli, a sandwich place that she had never been to before.  Then it was time to go back to the house to start being productive!  In just an hour or so we were able to build the pack-n-play, bouncy seat, and a side table from Target that I had bought.  It was really fun getting to catch up while building, and I think we both surprised our men with how handy we are.  (Although my table has 3 extra screws left over... shoot!)

I even broke out Kyle's drill!
Within 2 minutes of the bouncy seat being put together Elle found a napping spot.  It's covered in foil now, in hopes that she'll learn not to go in that!
We met Kyle at Pappasittos on Friday night, to introduce Mom to the best guacamole she'll ever eat.  She completely agreed and we enjoyed listening to the Mariachi band sing songs like "The Flintstones and Hakunna Mattata".

Saturday morning, Mom and I headed out to Garden Ridge and Michaels to buy frames and the mirror for the new bathroom, while Kyle fixed the leaking toilet.  We rushed home to get ready for the shower, and then spent the afternoon with all my Georgia friends.  Saturday night, we unpacked all the gifts from the shower, put a baby sheets/clothes load in the washer and then started organizing!  Look at the mess we made!
Kyle kept yelling up "okay it's time to relax now", as he wanted some company watching tv.  I think he knows now where I get my "productive-cannot relax until it's clean" genes from :)

Sunday morning, we decided to skip church as mom was leaving the next morning and we still hadn't hung anything in the nursery!  My sister's sister-in-law, Allison, (who I refer to as my sister in law) is an amazing seamstress and made us curtains for the nursery!  We are so happy with them, as they are by far the nicest curtains we've ever owned!  We hung the curtains, frames on the wall behind the crib, then even hung a shelf and Emery's name banner.  I can officially say the nursery is DONE!!  I will be posting pictures of it this week!

We even had some time to go for a long walk on Sunday and then enjoy the super bowl.   The cats thoroughly enjoyed having Mom there, as they've lived at her house at some point or another during the 8 years I've had them.  Elle really loved her cuddle time with mom... Dad you sure you don't want Elle to come live at your house??
Kyle drove mom to the airport Monday morning, while I sat at my desk at work teary eyed.  (I'm a little emotional right now).  I truly am blessed to have a mom who is one of my best friends and that I can count on for anything.  It's such a comfort knowing that she'll be back down in a month when Emery is born to stay with Kyle and I while we are adjusting with a newborn.  Love you mom thank you for everything!

13 comments:

the girl in the red shoes said...

Such a sweet post Leah! Moms are really such a blessing! I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your mom before Emery arrives!

Sara said...

don't worry. target probably just gave you extra screws, haha! :)

i'm SO glad you had a wonderful, productive, AND relaxing weekend with your mom. what a treat!! she'll be back sooooooooon!

Linda said...

Leah, I really can't think of a birthday present I would have enjoyed more right now than time with you! I have felt so far away and missed so much just "hanging out" and helping you with all the little things you need to do to get ready for Emery. Can't wait for you to show the "after" picture of the nursery...what a mess we made Saturday night! We really did get alot done though in a short time and I enjoyed every minute of my time there eating in and out, organizing, building baby stuff, taking a walk on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and just having time for mother/daughter/son-in-law talks. Counting the days till I return and thank you to my incredible family for this gift!!

jill said...

what a fun weekend with your mom. so glad the nursery is completed...its a huge relief, isn't it!

Bonnie Widmaier said...

so fun to have your mom help you with setting up the nursery. cant wait to see the pictures.

Rachel and John said...

Aw what a great weekend with your mom! I cried when my mom left after coming to visit for 3 weeks! So I understand. Can't wait to see the nursery!

Jessica said...

aww...such a sweet time with your mom! glad you made so much progress on the nursery (there's one more thing coming your way, don't forget!..it's taken longer than expected but i hope it'll get there before emery does!!). you look great! can't wait to see pictures! :)

Lacey said...

I'm so glad your mom got to fly in and spend time with you before Emery gets here! It looks like you had such a great weekend with your mom and you got so much accomplished while she was there! And I'm glad I got to see her on Saturday! You and her are so much alike! :)

TupeloLove said...

Leah, I'm so glad you were able to have such a nice visit with your mom! And that shower, WOW! Tell Jen and Lacey they are amazing!! Can't wait to see the nursery!

Mindy said...

What an awesome FOURTH shower...WOW! Such a nice visit for your mom. Can't wait to see the final nursery pics!

Holly said...

Such a nice present for your mom! I don't know how you do it so far from your mom...I only managed to move across the street from my parents once I got married! Looks like you guys had so much fun! Also, our cats love that exact same bouncy seat...but I've never tried putting the foil in it to scare them away (great idea)!

Tara said...

Oh, this post just made me smile so big the whole way through! I'm so happy that Dad had this idea and that it all came together so beautifully! It really was the perfect gift for Mom's birthday...and for you, just weeks away from Emery coming!!!

I love that ya'll were able to get so much done in the nursery... And I can already tell that it is SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!! I too can't relax until I get things done, so it is definitely a family gene:)

Love you so much!!!! Mom and Dad will be back before you know it... and then I get to come!!!! Wahoo!!! Love you!

Holly and Chris said...

So glad your mom was able to come!! It was so great to meet her! I'm glad you were able to get a lot accomplished!

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails