Okay here is my compiled hospital bag list from friends, books, our classes, and websites. Is there anything that I am missing or something on here that's not necessary in your opinion?!? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
FOR LEAH
· Birth Plan
· Picture ID, insurance card, and any hospital paperwork
· Fan/ mist fan for during labor
· Back massager for during labor
· Chapstick - BLISTEX
· Hair tie to pull hair back
· Journal and pen (to write down details of your labor, gifts you receive so you won’t forget thank you cards, info that the doctor tells you, etc)
· Music –iphone & speakers
· Baby book to get visitors to sign in and have the nurses put her footprints in
· Snack bag and roll of quarters for vending machine
· Slippers to walk around in
· Shawl or sweater to put over hospital gown
· Granny panties
· Boppy Pillow
· Bed pillow with colorful case
· Socks with the “no slip grip” on the bottom
· Nursing bra (only 1) – don’t buy more until 7-10 days after delivery when milk is in
· Nursing pj’s WITH ROBE to cover up if visitors come in
· Lanolin cream
· Comfortable clothes to wear during rest of stay if not nursing pjs
· Makeup and toiletries
· Lotion – after epidural skin gets itchy
· Flip flops for the shower
· Cute outfit for going home
· Warm socks
· Mints
· Camera, memory card, and charger
· Phone and charger
· Computer and charger
· Video camera and charger
FOR KYLE
· Insurance Information and flex spending card
· Snacks and a roll of quarters for vending machine
· Phone number list or group text all ready to send updates out
· Change of clothes (2)
· Comfortable shoes
· Something to read
· Phone and charger
· Toiletries
· Towel for the car if my water has broken
· Pillow with colorful case
· Flip Flops for the shower
FOR EMERY
· Going home clothes (including a hat)
· Sleepers
· Receiving blankets and a thick blanket to bring her home in
· Car seat & base already installed in back seat of the car
· Baby nail clippers
· Pacifier
17 comments:
You're totally on it! You'll have everything you need and probably things to don't need (which is definitely better than the other way around!). One tip is to start asking for diapers as soon as you get there to get a good stockpile. The diapers were donated to our hospital so the nurses said don't feel bad about taking them!
*One of my friends took little gifts for the nurses, I didn't do that and wish I had, especially the ones who are really good and make your stay so much better! Getting so excited for you!
I thought of one thing, I took my crocs (not sure if you have a pair). It was really nice to be able to slip those off and on quickly after the baby was here to walk around. Also, it was nice when I was in labor because crocs can be washed, and thats all I'll say about that ;-)!
If your hospital is like ours, you will be given mesh underwear to wear while you are there and will go home in them. Lovely, huh?! But seriously, they weren't that bad.
Also, instead of using clippers on Mason we asked for a baby nail file and it was much easier to use on his little fingers.
I packed so much into my bag and Brian's bag and we didn't end up using hardly anything (with the exception of our camera and computer) but it was nice to have there, just in case.
Looks like you have everything covered though! So excited for you guys.
yeah, you are so totally on it!
They didn't let me snack at all (but every birthing center is different) & after birth, I had plenty of food from the hospital & guests!
Ditto on the nail file versus baby clippers...we even had the nurses file his nails for us!
Doug needed a blanket & sheets - they didn't give him anything to sleep on the pull-out with.
Also, a hairdryer & make-up were my saving grace. I know it sounds petty, but with all the people in & out & having a photographer friend come over to do pictures, I loved being able to "get pretty" especially since I felt so...er, whale-ish.
You're going to do beautifully!
p.s. I don't know if you're planning on it for Tyson or the cats, but we swiped the first blanket they wrapped him in for Tuck. All we had to do was ask the nurse if we could have it so our dog could get used to his scent, then my parents took the blanket home for Tuck to sleep with until Harrison came home.
the only thing i can think of to add would be maybe put a warm blanket in the car for kyle just in case it's cold when he sleeps. all they'll probably give him are hospital blankets. i think we had a comforter from college for joe. oh, and you need nursing pads so you won't get lanolin all over your bra.
okay, it never hurts to have too much stuff. (unless you're stuck in a tiny room). but here are some things i didn't need:
- clothes for you to wear while you're there. you're only going to be there 2 days and will not have the time or energy to change in and out of outfits a bunch of times. just make sure your pj's/robe/sweater are presentable for guests
- grippy socks. they give you those at the hospital and even require them at certain times
- fan and back massager, but that one's totally up to you! personal thing i guess.
- sleepers for emery. they will have her in white long sleeved tshirts most likely which is easiest to change her diaper, and she'll be swaddled 24/7 so there's no need for cute outfits except to come home in
- paci's. they will give you multiples of the good ones for free, so take them!!
so exciting!!
oh yeah, the mesh underwear are actually pretty comfy. :) but you will need the granny ones once you get home. sounds glamorous right?
Looks like you have it all! :) I packed the exact same things! Chris loaded the car last night!
I did not see Kyle's 1/4 Dewalt Impact tool. I mean what is he going to cuddle up with at night? Just because you are at the hospital, you don't have to change everything! Let the man sleep with his 'blankie'! Love you kiddo!
Wow...I was anxious to see the bags all this stuff was going to fit in! Sounds like you are more than prepared and good to go. Having just gotten home from the hospital with Dad, I wished I had bigger,insulated tumblers with lids and straws for us to drink from...those little styrofoam cups don't hold much or keep it cold, and the dry air made us so thirsty. Love the hospital ice! I brought lysol wipes and went over the whole room, but especially the bedrails, phone, remotes, tray table, recliner, etc. I know they say they clean and sanitize, but not as thoroughly as they should by the look of my used wipes! Also lotion...our skin was so dry all the time. I love your "colorful pillowcase"!
I have absolutely nothing to add to this list, but the granny panties cracked me up!
Leah, you are so prepared and ready! Like you, I always wanted to make sure that I packed more than enough, because I didn't want Jamie to have to leave to get things I had forgotten!
The hospital will give you the mesh underwear, pads, nursing pads, lanolin, diapers, socks, etc. And like the other girls have said, TAKE THEM HOME WITH YOU! All that they give you will be yours, including all the stuff for Emery (the nose suckers from the hospital are the best! Make sure to take that!).
And I love that you included the baby book on your list. I'm so glad that I had that for visitors to sign and for me to record details of their first day with me when they were fresh on my mind. And Jamie was so thankful I packed snacks too! And if you have one, bring a mesh "dirty clothes bag" for all the stuff that you, Kyle, and Emery get dirty. It's great to just throw all that laundry in one place!
PS. One other thing: I know that they give you white t-shirts and blankets for the baby, but I enjoyed having all mine dressed in their colorful sleepers and swaddled in their own blankets. It's just a preference, but If you're like me, I think you'll enjoy dressing her up...even on that first day! Love you so much!!!
I have loved following your pregnancy and am excited for you to meet emery soon! Having just left the hospital a week ago with my 2nd, I wanted to add just a few things. Not knowing you personally, but from your blog, I can tell you and Kyle aren't too keen on being bored ha. Same with us too, so we brought cards and a few games to play in our down time. There was only so much tv we could watch and carter had to be gone several times for check ups, so it helped to pass the time and less like we were sticj with nothing to do ha. Also we brought our own pillows bc the ones there are just bad. And ditto to the other comments about the finger file. Griffin had really long nails and scratched his poor face. Praying for you!
I know you have snacks for kyle on the list but everyone keeps telling me this is VERY important. Hungry Husbands are grumpy and grumpy husbands are NOT helpful.
I'd add, like some have said-- sleeping stuff for Kyle- Pillow, blanket, etc. and maybe an eye mask... they come in every hour to check on you, so the eye mask may help him sleep through it.
Leah,
I can't imagine another thing you might need, EXCEPT.... I totally agree with your Mom.... Antibacterial wipes for the room!(that can be Kyle's job--- You're welcome Ky lol) And keep in mind that everything you use in the hospital you will have to wash before using at home, even the Boppy cover. Do you have more than one?
Great job being prepared. Oh my gosh, we are soooo excited! xoxox
wow leah! I'm impressed, but not surprised!
Making a list and checking it twice...figured I may need to start thinking about packing...
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you!